“Sika Sarnafil is excited to partner with LiveRoof on a single source green roof warranty,” said Brian J. Whelan, senior vice president of Sika Sarnafil. “Single source warranties provide the building owner with peace of mind and single point-of-contact responsibility for their green roof projects.”
Green roof systems have evolved from simple planters to complete engineered systems, specially designed for climate, storm water management, and aesthetic objectives. The LiveRoof system is typically installed by roofing contractors enabling quicker completion and contractor responsibility. The Sika Sarnafil and LiveRoof 20-year single source warranty provides building owners with the best protection offered in the industry.
“Facility managers, general contractors and roofers have to be confident in the performance of every product used on the rooftop, and they want clear, comprehensive warranties,” states Dave MacKenzie, horticulturist and president of LiveRoof, LLC. “Our agreement with Sika Sarnafil provides them with the ability to offer a single source warranty on green roof installations using LiveRoof.”
Sika Sarnafil has been waterproofing green roofs and other landscaped areas across Europe for over 35 years and in the United States for over 25 years. With over 15 billion square feet of roofing and waterproofing membrane installed worldwide, architects, specifiers and building owners know they can depend on Sika Sarnafil for proven products and system performance.
The Sarnafil G476 membrane is specially designed for sub-grade environments, compounded to remain watertight in extreme conditions, including constant dampness, ponding water, high and low alkaline conditions, and exposure to plant roots, fungi and bacterial organisms.
With the increased desire for high-performance buildings and sustainable building products, green roofs have become a “growing” roofing option in North America. Green Roofs for Healthy Cities (GRHC) reports the green roof industry grew by 16.1 percent to more than seven million square feet in 2009 despite the severe economic conditions.
- Storm Water Retention – Green roofs greatly lessen erosion and storm water burden on sewer systems.
- Reduction in Energy Consumption – Green roofs can reduce peak energy demand by lowering a building’s heating and cooling costs.
- Reduction in the Urban Heat Island Effect – Dark roofs absorb and retain heat while plants naturally cool their surrounding environments.
- Waterproofing Membrane Protection – A green roof protects the waterproofing membrane from damaging UV rays and freeze-thaw cycling, extending its lifespan.
- Improved Air Quality – Green roofs filter air and produce oxygen.
- LEED and Green Globes – Green roofs contribute to certification within these programs.
- Sound Insulation – Soil and plants can be great sound insulators.
- Aesthetics – Green roofs are visually stimulating and can make great areas for recreation and pleasure.
- Increased Property Value – Installing a green roof can increase property values by providing a valuable building asset.